Thursday, October 6, 2022

A Very Eventful Summer

 I'm not sad it's fall.  

I'm not sad summer is over this year. 

Summer was a lot.  Not all of it good, but not all of it bad.  It was just a lot. 

I was blessed with the arrival of two really exciting colts.  Misha had a rough start.  His mom didn't produce much milk for him and we needed to help him out quite a lot. Since we've got what he needs figured, he's thriving and I'm really excited for the young horse he's becoming.  Uri grew and has been healthy all along.  He's gigantic and was a little too much personality for himself.  At 10 days past 3 months, I had him gelded.  He's since been weaned and is far more humble.  I quite like him now!  

Baryshnikov SE (Misha)
Nureyev SE (Uri)


I had the opportunity to volunteer at Canada's National Arabian Horse Show in Red Deer a couple weeks ago.  What a fantastic experience it was! Scribing for dressage and the sport horse in hand classes was such a fantastic learning experience, once again.  The show committee did a bang-up job, especially for pulling the whole show together in less than two months!  They took extremely good care of the officials and volunteers.  The horses were beautiful, and competitors were all vary gracious.  It had a fantastic family/community vibe and I'm so excited to get back into it next year with the colts! 


Recently the Canadian Warmblood Horse Breeders Association held their Fall Classic sale.  This year, the auction was completely online.  For the first time, a Ritchie foal participated in the sale.  Last year, we had a gigantic sweetheart of a maiden mare, Voila, by Volte, come for breeding.  She produced a lovely colt! He definitely took the best of both parents; lovely conformation, tall, great movement.  I'm excited that he will be staying in Canada (so far anyways.)  We wish Dynamo's new family the very best in his future! 

Dynamo and Voila

The farm has been super busy with boarders this year.  I can't remember ever having so many people out but it's been wonderful!  We've got regular lessons happening with Cathrine McLeod (Excalibur Sport Horses) and riders are progressing really well! 


We had two senior horses leave us recently as well.  Hunter came to us 4 years ago to be Ali's step-up horse after Bucky.  He was wonderful.  He was loved by so many people and was such a fixture on the farm.  Unfortunately his breathing became a struggle for him and I was concerned he was starting to suffer.  His prior family came to see him, have his final ride, and spend some serious time loving on him - as he deserved.  Everyone got to have their goodbyes.  I also can't say enough wonderful things about Just Passing Horse Bereavement Services. Incredibly kind, respectful and compassionate group of people.  They made the situation much more bearable.  Also, I personally don't think I'll ever have a horse put down chemically by a vet ever again if I can help it.  The method utilized by Just Passing I observed to be far more humane, immediate, painless and kind.  
The service returned a couple of months later to help a boarded mare, in a very similar situation to Hunter, pass.  

Every horse deserves to be loved by a little girl. 
The very best are loved by several <3 

Jasmine has been out several times for visits with residents in care between Westlock and Barrhead.  It's always so special to be able to bring some joy to people who sometimes society forgets. 

Crowded rooms, walkers, wheel chairs, nothing phases Jasmine!

Ali and Jesse's collection!
And we got to go to one last horse show! Ali took Jesse and I took Phillippe and away we went to Sunwest for a fun schooling show.  I anticipate next year will be a little more serious in the show ring, but it was fantastic to be able to finish the year on a really good note.  

 
Always so much fun when I get to take Phillippe out!











It seems I'm not allowed to upload pictures right now.  I'll try to come back at a later date and update this post to include them.  Oh well, technology. 


Now bring on fall!

Happy Horseing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment