Friday, April 8, 2016

Big Life Lessons

Do you know I hate trailering?  Being in a regular trailer makes me feel VERY claustrophobic.  That's the reason I bought my Boeckmann trailer.  I feel all sorts of safe while I'm in there with the horses.  Last night, the fillies got to learn about loading in my trailer.
Both Princess and Chai had been in the trailer with their moms last year, but haven't done it solo yet.  It's quite a different story, let me tell you! 

Both would confidently stand up front feet on the ramp, but they would get stuck there.  That's ok, we keep it positive and don't make a fight.  Certainly I don't want them to see the trailer and think BACKWARDS! 
So we discussed that going forward makes pressure stop.  This is a life skill!!!  Out in the open we asked for forward and released pressure when it was given.  We would stop, send off in opposite directions and remove pressure when they move forward.  It didn't take them long before they felt very comfortable that they knew the answer. 
Once again, we re-approached the ramp.  Both again confidently stepped front feet on the ramp.  Then I added pressure.  The thought for backwards came first, but they knew that wasn't the right answer.  One step at a time, both found bravery and climbed into the trailer all by themselves (well, with me) and found that the trailer has a bunch of cookies and rubs and one very happy mama!  After a quiet minute or two, we gently backed out of the trailer and went for a walk.  Once more time, back up to the trailer and this time each one was more confident and quicker to find the answer in the trailer.  We call that very good and put them away. 

So proud of my little girls.  "Little" girls...  growing up so fast!  I'm very proud of the brains and willingness to try they have.  They're going to be incredible!  - They already are <3

Chai did it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment