Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Sharing Forward - The Lesson Horse

If we've met or you've read some of my previous musings, you probably understand my gratitude for people sharing their wisdom and time with me as a young person.  As an adult with the good fortune to have some lovely animals, I've continued to feel that the greatest service I can do is share my animals and knowledge forward.  It is something that I'm trying very hard to teach my daughter about, and there are occasions where she makes me very proud. 


Two years ago, she was gifted with a lovely old-man Salle Francaise gelding.  Since Bucky was getting up in years and could not take Ali further in riding than he had, we were on the lookout for something still very safe, but for her to move up on.  Through the grapevine, word came around about this fella, and our meeting went really well.  His owner offered him to my daughter and we brought him home the next day.  Since then, they've had many adventures including attending their first horse show and doing some very small jumps.  He's in his 20's but was apparently was a Grand Prix jumper back in his day. I can see that the way he goes to the fences. 


Well, this year hasn't been one for riding for us. Life has just been busy and moving swiftly in different directions.  The thought occurred to me that the horse (Hunter) might enjoy having kids fuss on him while helping teach the next generation how to fall in love with horses.  (Yes, I'm still an enabler...)  So I talked with Ali and reached out to a friend of ours who is running a H/J barn close to Edmonton.  She asked a few questions but decided that yes, she would love to have him in her program for the winter.  

Ali did great writing out his care instructions
and helped me pack his blankets and bridle.  She gave him his dewormer and loaded him into the trailer like a pro!  He travelled, unloaded and settled in like he'd lived at the barn his whole life (certainly he's lived at a barn for the majority of his life.)  And we're looking forward to seeing updates with kids falling in love with him.  We will bring him home when the ground is dry and the weather is good again.  It's occurring to me that she's once again in need of a move-up horse.  Something just a bit younger that takes just a bit more skill to ride well, but still safe.  I will keep my eyes open this winter and see if something appropriate comes up.  More and more I'm realizing there's tons of horses available, it's just a matter of connecting the right dots to find them.  

In the mean time, Happy Horseing y'all! 

1 comment:

  1. Smadav Pro Crackis the best software. It is an antivirus program with second layer protection to secure our data from virus infection. This app is indeed the best antivirus program. It is available for all windows. We can not install the most antivirus software with another antivirus because of the antivirus designed for primary protection in our PC. But this antivirus has an intention for additional security and can work well although there is another antivirus on our PC. We can also download another antivirus with the help of this app. The system editor of this software altars special features. We can quickly obtain the view of changing the option of viruses. While viruses detect, it immediately alerts us, and the scanning function of this app permits us to clean our PC within a single click.

    ReplyDelete