Thursday, May 26, 2016

Ba Da Bing, Ba Da Boom!

I knew if I complained loud enough, I'd get some resolution.  It's always the squeaky wheel...

Tuesday morning, I put Ali on the bus and got in the truck to head in to work.  My phone rang, it was my mother at the farm doing morning feed chores.  "Lana's giving birth!  One foot is out!"  Roger, turned around and made it back home in time to change quickly and get out just as the nose appeared.  I broke open the sac and helped Lana deliver her lovely filly Lirio SE (Rio).
She's so lovely, quite stunning. 

Wednesday evening I noticed that Fancy had fully bagged up but I did not see any wax at all so I didn't think she was quite ready. 

This morning, I woke up and looked out the window at Fancy.  No baby.  She was aggitated, running back and forth at the gate between her and Lana's pen.  No one else outside looked upset at all.  What on earth was Fancy on about?  She needs to just have her baby...  baby...  um, uh oh!!!

Sure enough, I get out in my pajamas and rubber boots and, in the corner of Lana's pen all frightened and COVERED in mud, a filly.  Fancy had indeed had her foal but she'd delivered her at a bad angle right against the fence between her pen and Lana's and the poor thing slipped right under to the wrong side!  Lana had been across the pen in the corner when I'd found her but she likely would have been right there during the birth and rejected the foal. 

When Fancy saw me coming, she came running to me to help her.  I opened the gate, brought her through, caught the baby (who was NOT impressed with me manhandling her) and put them back on their own side of the fence.  Fancy wanted her baby right away but the poor filly didn't have any understanding who this big horse was and just tried to run away! 

With some help, we got filly and Fancy working together, nursing and finally bonding.  Before leaving for work (late) this morning, they looked to have everything under control. 

Filly's name is Niveus, named to accompany her full brother Ravan (L'Image SE) from the Winter Chronicals written by Ravan's owner, Sharon Cramer. 

 It looks like Ritchie really has a program with his foals.  If we want colts, we need to breed late as his only two colts (the first born) were foaled in late June and late July.  The May foals have all been fillies. 

So far, everyone is now happy and healthy with straight legs.  I will have to add "born on the right side of the fence" to my mantra for next time...

In the mean time, happy horseing!

No comments:

Post a Comment