Tuesday, May 31, 2016

EAADA Recap Windhaven Clinic



I’ve always been a dressage enthusiast but I came to the realization long ago that gold medals in Olympic rings was simply not going to be in my life path.  Certainly, I’ve had far more adventures and opportunities with my trick horses than I have in the 20 x 60 – and that’s wonderful in itself.  But when I received a text message from one of my favorite coaches and dressage riders, Sharon Merkle-Beattie, inquiring about hosting a Horseplay and Harmony trick-horse clinic at Windhaven, the word “nervous” wasn’t even close to describing the lump that made itself at home in the pit of my stomach!  However, I’m so glad I agreed and had a wonderful weekend with delightful ladies and their clever horses. 

What is dressage?  It comes from the French word for “training”.  Truly, it is the epitome of willingness and acceptance of the rider and working through their aids – in the tack.  I love trick-horse training because, for me, it extends and compliments the performance under saddle.  Trick-horse training allows the horse to engage, offer behavior, express themselves and willingly be a partner in training.  It also causes the human to be the leader and quickly makes itself evident when that is not the case.  Not unlike attending a dressage clinic, one needs to be ready to look in the mirror at themselves when entering the arena for a trick clinic. 

After the fact, Sharon tells me that she would have been happy for her gigantic, black, handsome gelding to stand on the box, but he certainly had more to give!  The horses and handlers started the first day off with engaging tricks like smile, touch a target and moved into obedience and movement tricks like standing on a box and waving.  We like to start with simple tricks so that the horses immediately gain a lot of reward and are encouraged to offer more and more effort. We taught wave, hugs, say “no”, and even had 3 talented geldings offer us gentle bows on their knees. 

Sharon and Donny demonstrating the pedestal
Teaching trick-horse clinics is a lot of work, but it’s one of the most rewarding ventures I’ve ever experienced.  To offer horses and their handlers a new level of communication, a foundation to build a more trusting and understanding relationship, never gets old!  The only thing that comes close, for me, is to add the experience of my equine first-aid certification clinics.  Life-saving information and knowing what to do when action and decisiveness matters most is invaluable! 

Are you interested in hosting or attending a clinic?  I travel!  Trick-Horse clinics are one or two days, equine first aid courses available for ages 5+, basic, advanced and disaster planning, between 1 and 3 days. www.standardsequine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment